Friday, July 11, 2014

I Should Be Sleeping Like a Log

Sunday, July 6, 2014

We went to our new wards on Sunday. I go to the White Chapel Ward at 10 AM. We have to take a train and a bus to get there, it's very exciting. The ward is very diverse. Also! They let us help in primary instead of making us go to Relief Society and I sure do hope that happens every week for the rest of my life. This one kid threw a tiny shell at the missionaries who were teaching and I couldn't stop laughing.

Then I took a very long nap.

Then we had FHE as a group, which is basically where we discuss business and schedules and things like that. People kept asking me about my dancing skills at karaoke the night before. A rumor started that I was break dancing. Things get around fast here in the London Film Program. I didn't actually try very hard to stop the rumors. This will most likely come back to bite me in the butt.

I did manage the moonwalk in sandals, so...
...I'm going to stop bringing up karaoke now. I just love it so much.


Monday

Monday morning we took a lovely little train ride to visit Hampton Court - the home of some very famous English royalty like Henry VIII. It was very fun! It was in many ways similar to the London Tower and I learned a lot. I especially enjoyed looking at the paintings on the high ceilings and the chandeliers.

They had beautiful gardens. So amazing. We got to sit on a lovely lawn in the shade when a fire alarm went off. It was not an inconvenience at all .

I will say, however, that my favorite thing about Hampton Court was that they had fancy capes for you to wear around if you wanted. We wanted.

A not very good picture of Hampton Court that I took myself.

Friends lounging in capes at Hampton Court...and Neeko


Hampton Court mirror selfie!
Me, Malori, Alexis, Melissa, Neeko

After Hampton Court we were very starving and we went to a famous restaurant called Union Jack's and we got famous fish & chips. It was my first experience with fish & chips, ever! I usually don't like fish, but I can't say I hated it. I also got the most delicious chocolate ice cream I have ever had ever. Memories!

At Union Jack's!
Neeko, Me, Melissa, Meg, Lauren, Alexis, Malori

There were some Portobello Road-like shops set up in the area (Covent Gardens) and we wandered around looking at cool vintage phones and hats and watches and stuff.

Shopping Selfie!
Malori, Me, Neeko, Alexis

Me and Alexis

Then! A bunch of people came over to our flat and we watched Scott Pilgrim vs. the World. I've seen this movie several times but it still cracks me up. Especially THIS.

Then I pretended to do homework.



Tuesday

I beat jet lag. I survived the plague/cold. My sunburn was healed. The bruise on my head went away (I had run into a closet door).

Then on Tuesday morning I woke up with a big gross cold sore.

My body is basically refusing to be healthy whilst I'm in London. And I'm basically refusing to let that bring me down.

Tuesday was a simple and enjoyable day. We had class in the morning and then a group of us decided we wanted to go thrift shopping. Which...ended up being sort of a successful fail because we could only find bookstores and really expensive vintage shops. Which is actually really cool, so it was fun to look at that stuff anyway.

Then the most exciting thing that has ever happened to me...happened to me. First - a preface. My current favorite band is Twenty One Pilots. I love them more than breathing and I especially love Tyler Joseph, the singer/songwriter/pianist/ukulele/hottie/niceguy of the band.


I was legitimately heartbroken when I learned he had a girlfriend. But I got over that (regained my sanity) and continued to religiously enjoy their music. On Tuesday I learned that Tyler Joseph and his girlfriend got engaged, and I was very excited. I tweeted my congratulations to him.

THEN THE REAL TYLER JOSEPH FAVORITED MY TWEET. You guys, I DIED. I could not contain my excitement. Do you know what this means? This means that the REAL TYLER JOSEPH actually spent time reading my tweet and liked it enough to push the favorite button. He might have even given a thought or two to what kind of person I might be. I feel like I can die happy.

Proof.

Then I went to the BFI and watched Wallace and Gromit, Monty Python's Flying Circus, Doctor Who, and a menstruation instructional video from 1949. It was all very...interesting.

Then I got an English food item called a pasty in the tube station. I was starving, and it was the most satisfyingly delicious thing I have ever eaten.

Then the group caught a screening of "The Red Shoes" at the BFI. Apart from being just a little long, it was an extremely beautiful film all about the dilemma each artist faces. More on this later.



Wednesday

We were supposed to go to the Imperial War Museum on Wednesday morning, but...it was closed (temporarily, we'll still have a chance to see it) so we had almost a full day to ourselves. My roomies and I decided to enjoy a lazy morning then visit the V&A Museum of Childhood.

Amanda and I on the Tube.
....I just...I don't know.

It was amazing! SO many awesome old toys, plus toys that I played with as a child. I...only took one photo and I can't really explain why I chose this:

I'm fairly certain this was a thing I had.

Roommate selfie at The Museum of Childhood! I love them!
Alexis, Malori, Me, Amanda
This picture is happy.

Then, because we felt like children and also because ice cream is good, we decided that we absolutely needed to get ice cream cones. I got distracted by a pizza place and accidentally got one of those instead. But my roommates got ice cream, so that counts for something.

The we saw "Hard Day's Night" at the BFI. I luuurve the Beatles! Such a fun and interesting film.

Malori took this photo of us walking back from the BFI on the Jubilee Bridge.
I'm walkin on sunshine! Woah-oh! Walkin on sunshine!
Tree, Amanda, Me, Neeko, Alexis

We were all pumped up after the movie and we had a mini dance party to "Hard Day's Night" because it was relevant! The world needs more dance parties.

Then I did homework! For real! For an easily-distracted person, this was actually an amazing feat and let me explain why. I was lying on a hardwood floor. My three roommates were talking around me. Somebody was listening to music. Neeko was drawing on the bottom of my shoe. But somehow I was able to read a textbook in the middle of all of this. Amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment