Saturday, June 28, 2014

Jet Lag is Real

After arriving in the Heathrow London Airport we were immediately thrown into things and had to take the Tube (the underground train) to our flats in the middle of morning rush hour. We were already worn out from the 48-hour travel fiasco (see previous post) and I hadn't been able to sleep at all on the plane. We had to lug our baggage a few blocks and our arms were tired, but we made it. Realizing everyone was in class, we then had to go several more blocks to the church building where they hold class.

We were welcomed, sort of, because they were in the middle of class. We stowed our stuff somewhere and took seats. I was pretty alert, but my arms were tired, I hadn't showered or eaten, wasn't wearing makeup and I was sweaty from the new humidity.


The first thing I did in London was go to class. Anti-climatic, a bit, but I'm a Film Student and I still love my classes.

I made it through class. I got a key to my flat. I got something to eat. Before showering, however, our Study Abroad group left for Harrod's. I didn't mind the lack of shower. Who needs makeup? It had been hard day already.

Except this "been a hard day" feeling was coming at the end of a Utah day, not a London day, where it was only noon.

The jet lag hit me on the train to Harrod's.

You guys, jet lag is real. It isn't just something they say in movies to get out of going to meetings. Jet lag is super very much real and it is miserable.

Harrod's was fun. It's like, the biggest most nicest department store in the world probably. I spent most of my time in the toy and technology sections. They had real Harry Potter wands and a scooter-submarine. I bought a fancy English cupcake. Strangely, it tasted like a fancy American cupcake.


Harrod's really looks like this. It's the craziest.

It was fun, but I probably would have had more fun if I didn't feel like I was about to die. My head was throbbing, the ground was swaying, and my eyes were exploding.

They say to push through the tired and go to bed according to your new time zone, but it's not as easy as it sounds! After Harrod's, I went with a group to an Argentine Steak House to watch the US Soccer game (the pubs were full, unfortunately). I ate a tomato.

The whole group went on a walk around London after that, so the directors could show us where the National Theater and the BFI are, because we'll be spending a lot of time there.

I was acting like a drunk person at this point, and there was nothing I could do about it. I was carrying around all my belongings in a Harrod's bag because why not? Also I was too sick and tired to be aware of normal things. Luckily I was with a group that had experienced the same thing a day or two prior. They were sympathetic and willing to hold my hand and nudge me in the right direction.

I left the walk early and fell asleep the same millisecond my head hit the pillow.

Good news, though! IT WORKED. Staying up until nighttime was the hardest thing ever but I felt great the next day and I'm mostly adjusted now.


UP NEXT: My first conscious London Adventures!!

No comments:

Post a Comment